Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Breaking down the playoff seeding.

Yesterday, I was looking at the eastern conference standings. It was painfully obvious what a good position the Raptors were in. We were #3 in the east. Let me break it down for ya, it looked something like this:

1 Detroit
2 Cleveland
3 Toronto
4 Miami
5 Chicago
6 Washington
7 Orlando
8 New Jersey

Not that it ultimately makes a difference, cause I'm not expecting the Raptors to make it out of first round. In fact, I'm almost hoping that they'd get swept so that would be enough grounds to get rid of Sam Mitchell. Which I'll get into later.

But taking a look at the standings. Lets remove 7 and 8 from the equation cause we're not gonna play them. The only two possible spots for the Raptors are the 3rd spot and the 4th spot. And the only possible teams we'll be playing is Miami, Chicago or Washington With Cleveland having a small chance also.

So, due to division seeding. If we're #3 seed, we'll be playing either the Heat or the Wiz. And if we're #4 seed, we'll be playing the Bulls or the Cavs. I'm gonna assume that the Heat is gonna finish ahead of the Wiz and the Cavs are gonna finish ahead of the bulls.

Here are the heads up data:

1-2 VS Bulls:
Dec 8 L 93-90
Dec 29 L 107-97
Feb 13 W 111-112

2-1 VS Wiz:
Jan 7 W 111-116
Jan 31 W 109-119
Mar 6 L 129-109

Note the two loses and one point win against the bulls.

Okay, as I type, I just realized we lost Jorge for the season... So that totally killed my ranted of trying hard for the #3 seed would improve our chances of making it out of the first round. Cause now that would be near impossible. Of course the heat could also cool down and drop back to 6th, and we would be better off playing the bulls anyways.

I guess I just wanted fellow Raptor fans to join me in my wishful thinking. That maybe.... MAYBE the seeding at the end of the year would just be like yesterday. and we'd have the most chance of making it out of the first round.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've asked you this and I'll ask you again... are you gonna fire Sam Mitchell if Raptor get past first round?

Ben said...

Yes.
Because Sam is not a good enough coach coach to get us into elite status. He's more of a player's coach.

As you can tell from our broken down plays, lack of offensive precision and crap ass defense. He's not a good X and O guy.

Nelson said...

Bargnani and Jorge are out, so I don't think they are getting far...

Unknown said...

they are not gonna get far even with Bargnani and Jorge healthy... best shot would be facing the Wizards...